JDR JR. FOUNDED
DAVISON FUND, INC. RECORDS, 1930-1942
Size: 16 cu. ft.
Contents: The collections consist of correspondence, minutes, dockets, reports, bulletins, policy and procedure files, and vouchers. Approximately two-thirds of the records consist of correspondence and reports related to grants to a wide variety of local, national, and international institutions and organizations.
Subjects include African-Americans, charities, child welfare, education, health, hospitals, international cooperation, medicine, missionaries, music, poverty, public welfare, quality of life, race relations, religion, social problems, urban policy, East Asia, New York City, and Westchester County, New York.
Arrangement: The Davison Fund, Inc., Records are arranged in two sections according to accession. Davison I records (10 cu. ft.) were kept by the Fund's treasurer and include minutes of trustee and committee meetings and financial materials. Davison II records, the records of the Davison Fund itself, were given to the Archive Center by the Rockefeller family and are arranged in three series:
Organizational History: The Davison Fund was established by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. in 1934 to systematize his personal giving. Its program developed from two motivations: 1) an interest in the social, cultural, educational, and health needs of New York City and environs, and 2) the recognition of the importance of "certain problems which cut across national and international boundaries and which invite the cooperation and support of thoughtful men everywhere." Its major interests were child welfare, medicine and health, the relief of distress, and the improvement of social conditions, especially with regard to poverty, race relations, and social services to African-Americans.
HISTORIC HUDSON VALLEY MANUSCRIPT COLLECTIONS, 1585-1938
Size: 22 reels of 35mm microfilm
Contents: A microfilm edition of the collection and finding aids are available. Original documents may be consulted only with the permission of an officer of Historic Hudson Valley. For permission to view this collection, please contact the Historic Hudson Valley Library at (914) 366-6902, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
These manuscript collections date mostly from the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries and relate to the Hudson River area in New York, specifically to the initial three historic sites owned by Historic Hudson Valley (formerly Sleepy Hollow Restorations): Sunnyside, the home of Washington Irving; Philipsburg Manor; and Van Cortlandt Manor.
Arrangement: The collections include:
INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION BOARD ARCHIVES, (1922-1930)-1964
Size: 37 cu. ft.
Collection: The collection includes personnel and fellowship files, traveling professorship records, correspondence, memoranda, charts, clippings and surveys.
Arrangement: Arranged in three series:
Organizational History: The International Education Board (IEB) was founded in January 1923 by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. for the "promotion and advancement of education throughout the world." The IEB granted fellowships to hundreds of individuals and made grants to numerous institutions in thirty-nine countries. The Board's primary fields of interest were science and agriculture, with some appropriations in the humanities and social sciences. The IEB was most active between 1923 and 1928; it was dissolved in December 1938.
SEALANTIC FUND PAPERS, 1931-1980
Size: 48 cu. ft.
Contents: A third of the collection (16 cu. ft.), including accounting records and the minutes of trustees meetings, is closed. The collection is unprocessed. An inventory is available.
Subjects include support for education in Christian theology, the conservation and restoration of historic sites, nursing schools, public health, public welfare, theology and theological seminaries.
Photographic Collection: No
Organizational History: Established in 1938 by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. to give support to institutions and programs in which he took a personal interest, the Sealantic Fund was merged with the Rockefeller Brothers Fund in 1973.
Search All Collection Guides