The Rockefeller Archive Center
Home | FAQs | Links | E-Mail
FB 
“If we assist the highest forms of education – in whatever field – we secure the widest influence in enlarging the boundaries of human knowledge.”
—John D. Rockefeller, Sr.
Rockefeller Foundation Archives
Printer-Friendly Version Printer-Friendly Version


ROCKEFELLER FOUNDATION FIELD OFFICES, RECORD GROUP 6.1 - PARIS, 1917-1959

Size: 70 cubic feet

Contents: Materials include correspondence, financial materials, and reports.

Arrangement: The material is arranged in two series:

Series 1 - Prewar
Subseries 1 - Correspondence
Subseries 2 - Financial Material
Subseries 3 - Reports

Series 2 - Postwar

Subseries 1 - Correspondence
Subseries 2 - Financial Material

Photograph collection: yes

Organizational History: The International Health Board (IHB) of the Rockefeller Foundation opened an office in Paris in 1917 as the headquarters for the work of the Commission for the Prevention of Tuberculosis in France. In 1922, anticipating the transfer of the tuberculosis work to the French and the expansion of RF work in Europe, the IHB agreed to share space and administrative expenses with other divisions of the Foundation, and the medical education, medical sciences, natural sciences, social sciences, and studies divisions were subsequently represented in Paris.

The Paris office served as the Foundation's fiscal agent for European affairs, administering payments of appropriations made by the Foundation to projects in Europe. The office also administered appropriations made at the discretion of the Paris officers and acted as fiscal agent for other U.S. organizations. The office was closed in 1959.




Search All Collection Guides

Did you know...