Size: 107 reels of 35mm microfilm
Collection: The collection consists of administrative and grant records, covering the years from 1909 to 1996, with the bulk of the collection dating from 1950-1992. Included in the collection are annual reports, tax and other financial records, committee meeting minutes, president's files, board member files, and correspondence. Most records date from the 1950s onwards, when it became more of a grant-making institution. Almost half of the collection consists of grant files: General Grants, Human Ecology Grants, State of the Child Grants, and Young Scholar Grants.
Arrangement: The Foundation for Child Development collection is arranged in six series:
Series 1 - Administration
Series 2 - Annual Reports
Series 3 - Financial Records
Series 4 - Grant Programs
Series 5 - Reprints
Series 6 - Audio-Visual Materials
Photograph Collection: No
Organizational History: The Foundation for Child Development was established in 1908 as the Association for the Aid of Crippled Children (AACC). The AACC's program emphasized the teaching of handicapped children and gradually developed a broader definition of aid to include material help. After more than a generation, the Association shifted focus from direct aid to research in prevention of handicapped conditions. This shift was a response to increasing public support for services to the handicapped and a response to a large financial bequest that the Association received in the 1940s. During the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s, the Association supported research on genetically based disorders and abnormalities of fetal development.
The Association once again shifted focus in the 1970s. In 1978 the name of the Association shifted focus in the 1970s. In 1978 the name of the Association was officially changed to the Foundation for Child Development. Its principal aims in the last quarter of the 20th century were the prevention of child poverty and the promotion of the economic security of families.
Search All Collection Guides